Cracker Crusted Cauliflower Steaks
2 large heats of cauliflower, rinsed and outer leaves removed
1 package Jilz Crackers or 1 1/2 cups of your favorite cracker (gluten-free and grain-free as needed)
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp oregano
pinch of Himalayan sea salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
3/4 cup almond flour
1 TBSP lemon juice
For serving: parsley, lemon, your favorite dip
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Stand each rinsed head of cauliflower on its steam and use a sharp knife to cut in half down the center. Cut as many 1″ inch thick cauliflower “steaks” from the center of each half as you can. You’ll be left with florets on each side– save these for later, or “bread” them along with the steaks for cauliflower tots!
3. Add the crackers to a food processor or high speed blender and pulse until they reach a fine meal (see photo). Transfer the mixture to a bowl, and mix with the basil, oregano, Himalayan sea salt, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes.
4. In another large bowl, whisk together the almond milk, oat flour, and lemon juice until smooth.
5. One at a time, dip each cauliflower “steak” into the almond milk batter, making sure they are well coated. Drain off any excess batter and transfer to the cracker and herb mixture and flip until all sides are well coated. Finally, transfer to the baking sheet. Repeat for all cauliflower steaks.
6. Bake the cauliflower steaks for 20 minutes, then flip (carefully!) and bake another 20 minutes, until the cracker crust turn golden brown and a fork slides through the steak with ease.
7. Serve cauliflower steaks warm with lemon and fresh herbs and your choice of sides and/or dips.
8. Best when fresh, though leftovers quick for 2-3 days refrigerated.
Creative veggie-centric “steaks” made with cauliflower and a crave-able cracker coating. Oil-free, gluten-free, grain-free and packed with flavor.